CASSI IS TEMPORARILY NOT IN SERVICE PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR UPDATES
TAKE A RIDE WITH CASSI
Get to know me.
Connected Autonomous Shuttle Supporting Innovation (CASSI) is an EZ10 autonomous vehicle built by EasyMile, and operated by Free2move, it enables smart mobility in urban, suburban or private areas. It is the most deployed driverless shuttle in the world.
NC State and NCDOT have partnered to bring the world of driverless vehicles to you! Check out the events below and plan your trip to learn all about CASSI!
Check Out What Is Happening With CASSI
Public Rides Are Currently Available – Monday – Friday 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Monday – Friday, 10 a.m – 2 p.m.
CASSI public rides will operate on limited hours. Monday – Friday, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Please note that CASSI may be delayed during periods of significant weather.
What is CASSI?
Connected Autonomous Shuttle Supporting Innovation (CASSI) is an EZ10 autonomous vehicle built by EasyMile, and operated by Free2Move, it enables smart mobility in urban, suburban or private areas. It is the most deployed driverless shuttle in the world. Brochure
Who is the project sponsor?
The project is a partnership between NCDOT and NC State to bring an autonomous vehicle to Centennial Campus.
What is the purpose of testing an autonomous electric shuttle?
The project will help NCDOT and NC State learn more about how this technology can be safely and effectively used in the future to offer additional mobility solutions, to help familiarize people with new transportation technologies, and to encourage environmentally-friendly transportation solutions.
Is CASSI permanent on campus?
No, the CASSI project is a 6-month pilot during the winter and spring months of 2020.
How safe is CASSI?
Very safe! Safety is covered with the use of sensors surrounding the vehicle, continuously scanning the shuttle’s surroundings and signaling the vehicle to stop when an obstacle moves too close to the vehicle. The vehicle is monitored by an onboard ambassador during service hours. Each ambassador can manually stop the vehicle at any time.
Will there be a vehicle operator?
Yes! A shuttle ambassador will be on board at all times the vehicle is in operation to maintain customer safety and answer any questions.
Who can ride CASSI?
CASSI is open to NC State students, staff, faculty and visitors. Visitors may find parking options here.
How many people can ride CASSI at once?
CASSI will seat 6 people and hold up to 12 people including those standing or leaning.
How fast does CASSI go?
CASSI will operate around up to 7 miles per hour on its NC State route.
Will CASSI be accessible to persons with disabilities?
Absolutely! Wheelchairs, mobility devices, and service animals are welcome on board. CASSI is fitted with wheelchair securements and has a ramp that folds out to curb height.
Traveling near CASSI?
CASSI may make sudden stops so please use a safe following distance.
Before You Go.
- All visitors must follow the campus rules and code of conduct at all times.
- Never walk in front of a shuttle.
- Eating and/or drinking onboard CASSI is prohibited.
- CASSI may make sudden stops. Riders must hold onto the standing safety rails/handles while CASSI is in motion.
- Bicycles, large carry-on items, and pets are not allowed onboard the shuttle. Space is limited and is needed for riders.
- No audio devices are permitted. Riders listening to an iPhone/Android or other audio-emitting devices must wear headphones/earbuds at all times.
- Weapons, hazardous materials, and illegal substances are not permitted onboard the shuttles.
- Smoking, vaping or use of any tobacco-related product is not allowed while onboard the shuttle.