Frequently Asked Questions – Spring 2021


If you have additional questions, you may submit a question online.

Parking Questions

What are the hours of parking enforcement?

You need a parking permit from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except on Official University Holidays. Resident Parking Areas (“RC,” “RE,” “RW”) are enforced from 7:00 a.m. to Midnight, Monday through Thursday, and 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Friday. Reserved lots/spaces and “No Parking” areas are enforced 24 hours. 

Do I need a parking permit during spring and fall breaks, holidays and summer sessions?

A valid NC State University parking permit is always required Monday through Friday except when the university is closed to both students and staff.

When classes are not in session, but employees report to work, any valid NC State parking permit is valid in all parking areas EXCEPT employee areas (B, C, and A) and reserved spaces. Employee areas always require an area-specific permit; B for B areas, C for C areas, and A for gated A areas. Permits are always enforced during exams and reading days.

Parking meters timed spaces, pay lots, reserved spaces (including 24-hr. reserved spaces), and “no parking areas” are always enforced during student break times. Permit enforcement always resumes at 7:00 a.m. whenever classes resume after holiday/break times.

Student break and holiday dates are posted here.

Do visitors of NC State University need a parking permit?

Yes, individual visitors may purchase daily permits for $15 per day at the NC State University Transportation Office located at 2721 Sullivan Drive. Transportation Customer Service operates from 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Visitors may also park at any Pay-by-Plate or pay lot. Pay lots are located on the first level of the Dan Allen Deck, in the Coliseum Deck and the two lower levels of the Partners Way Deck on Centennial Campus. View Pay Lot and Pay-by-Plate fees.

I am driving a different vehicle temporarily. What do I do?

No worries, we have got you covered. If you need to add a temporary vehicle to your account following these steps: Click: Here to access your parking account. Choose NC State Shibboleth login, log into your account, and agree with terms of service. Choose “Vehicles” on the left-hand side of your screen. Choose “Temporary Replacement” for the vehicle you wish to replace. Enter Plate #, State/Prov., Year and Make of the vehicle and click confirm. Enter Replacement Date Range click confirm and click complete. That’s it! Your temporary vehicle is now active. Please note that once the date range you have entered ends, the primary vehicle previously listed will revert back to being the primary vehicle on your permit.

Is it necessary to have a permit while I am unloading or loading items at my residence hall?

If you are loading or unloading your vehicle during parking enforcement hours, you must display a valid loading/unloading permit. Permits are available at the Transportation office or the Visitor Information Booth on Main Campus. Unloading permits are valid for a designated time period at specified spaces throughout campus or at loading docks; never in AS, A4, SV, pay lots, “Accessible Parking” areas, “No Parking” areas, reserved lots/spaces and metered spaces. Check for guidelines during official move-in dates.

When can I buy an NC State parking permit?

An online semester-based student permit sale begins in early July. You must have a nine-digit student ID to complete your purchase. Resident first-year students are only eligible for an “RS” (resident storage) permit. This permit is a good option for resident students who need access to a vehicle occasionally or for trips home. Resident storage is located on Centennial Campus and served by the Wolfline bus service. Other commuter options are free park and ride system and riding Wolfline. Employees can purchase a parking permit at any time. Transportation makes every effort to provide the closest available parking to the employee’s work location. However, due to campus construction projects and space availability, employees may not receive the permit they request as their first choice.

I have added my name to the waiting list for a permit. What happens next?

We will email your @ncsu email address if/when a permit becomes available for purchase. Permits become available to those on the waiting list if/when a permit is returned to us. If you are eligible for other permit types that are still available, you may purchase one of those permits while you wait on the waiting list. If/when a permit becomes available on the waiting list we can exchange the permits.

Is my car safe on campus?

Statistically, the campus has relatively low crime – most crimes are “crimes of opportunity.” Our parking lots are well lighted and the campus is patrolled by our campus police. Reduce your risk by ALWAYS locking your vehicle. Secondly, don’t leave any valuable items on the car seats (in plain sight) and if you must leave valuables in your vehicle, lock them in the trunk.

I have a North Carolina handicap placard. Do I need a parking permit to park in a handicapped space on campus?

Yes, vehicles parked in a handicapped/accessible space during enforcement hours must have valid university parking credentials. Mobility-impaired faculty, staff, and students with a valid state-issued handicap placard must complete an application for a permit and submit a copy of their placard. Visit the Accessibility Parking Page for accessibility policies, procedures, and more.

What should I do if my automobile breaks down on campus?

Move your vehicle to the nearest unreserved parking space. Report the vehicle immediately to Campus Police 919-515-3000 and Transportation 919-515-3424. Inoperable vehicles left unattended or standing in driveways, driving lines, tow lanes, “No Parking” areas or Reserved spaces are subject to being fined and towed. The owner is responsible for removing the vehicle within the time required by Transportation.

How do I pay a parking ticket?

Payment of violations may be made ONLINE, in person at the Transportation office, or through the mail. Payment options are as follows: money order, all campus card, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, and debit card. All Campus Card and check transactions MUST be made in person at the Transportation Customer Service. Checks and money orders should be made out to NC State. Returned checks will be charged a $25 service fee.

How do I dispute or appeal a parking ticket?

All appeals must be filed by submitting an Online Appeal Form. Make sure you submit any supporting documentation, i.e., diagrams, permits, etc., online. If you do not have access to a computer, one is available for your use from 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, in Transportation’s customer service lobby area, Administrative Services I at 2721 Sullivan Drive. Appeals must be received within 7 calendar days of the violation date. Appeals exceeding this time will not be reviewed. If you choose to dispute a denied appeal, then you must do so (IN WRITING) within 7 days of the initial ruling. Full payment of the citation is required to request an Appeal Board Hearing. Attendance at the appeal hearing is not mandatory but is recommended. The decision of the Appeals Hearing Board is final; there is no further process available.

What are the transportation alternatives I can use if I am unable or ineligible to receive a parking permit?

Ride Wolfline – our campus bus system. During Fall and Spring semesters, Wolfline serves three Park and Ride locations: Carter-Finley Stadium, Spring Hill, and perimeter only parking at The Food Lion Shopping Center on Avent Ferry Road (pay attention to signage). The Wolfline serves Main Campus, Vet School, Centennial Campus, E.S. King Village, Avent Ferry Road, Gorman Street, and Fraternity Court. The ten daytime routes (most extended until 10:00 p.m.) and evening routes (until 3 a.m.) operate frequently – depending on the time of day or evening. Wolfline operates on a modified schedule with reduced frequency during the summer. NC State offers Carpooling, Vanpooling, and bike/transit/walk services. WolfTrails participants receive discounted rates and additional bonuses like an emergency ride home assistance and free drive-day passes. Visit WolfTrails to learn more about these programs.

Where can I read Official University Transportation Policies or NC Statutes?

Read Official Transportation Policies on the main NC State University Website.

Can I park in the park and ride lots overnight?

For safety and security, overnight parking is not permitted in the park and ride.

Where can I find your enforcement rules and fines?

Review the rules, fines and towing policy as well as the link to the Official University Policy and NC Statutes.

Do I need a permit for my bicycle?

Yes, bicycle registration is mandatory. Registering your bike will enable us to contact you if your bike is stolen and recovered. Bikes can be Registered for free Online. Registering your bike also helps us to plan adequate bicycle facilities. For added security, Campus Police can also engrave your driver’s license number on your bike.

Carpool Questions

If I carpool with someone who is not an NC State employee, am I eligible for a CP parking credential?

Carpools with two people, with only one (1) university employee, are not eligible for the CP parking credential. However, carpools with two or more members with at least two (2) NC State employees are eligible for the CP parking credential. Only university employees will be allowed to utilize the CP parking credential.

My potential carpool partner currently possesses a B parking credential and he/she does not want to give up their permit, but they do want to carpool. Can we still apply for the CP parking credential?

All carpool participants must relinquish their current parking credentials (the CP privilege provides access to all B lots). If you want to try carpooling on a trial basis, please contact us at 919-515-1609. During the trial period, all existing credentials must be relinquished. If carpooling doesn’t work, participants may buy back original privileges.

I want to carpool, but I’m concerned about the times when I have to drive separately for appointments, etc.

The 24-free parking credentials annual limit promotes regular (5-day/week) carpools. (24 daily permits per participant.) Each participant may purchase additional day parking privileges for $5 each. The program is set up to allow carpool participants to drive to campus separately twice per month.

Who do I contact with more questions about carpooling?

Call 919-515-1613 or contact WolfTrails

Wolfline Questions

How can I receive up-to-date info on detours for the Wolfline?

The quickest way to get up-to-the-minute information is to check out TransLoc announcements page or download the TransLoc app. When there is a change in service we also post up-to-date information on our Website, under the “News and Announcements” and Wolfline Twitter feed – NC State Wolfline.

Does the Wolfline offer transportation to NC State Athletic Events?

Yes. Red Terror provides service to and from home football (three hours prior to Kickoff) and basketball games (two hours prior to tipoff). Buses run continuously (approximately every 30 minutes) UNTIL one (1) hour after the game starts. Service resumes after game ends and runs for 90 minutes. Scheduled dates and start times are posted on the main Wolfline page.

Can Wolfline buses be chartered for events?

For details regarding chartering Wolfline vehicles for University-affiliated events, please contact the service provider, TransDev, at 919-800-4743.

How can I figure out when the bus comes to my stop?

Maps and schedules for each route are available online. When viewing the online timetable, notice that some bus stops are designated as a “TIMEPOINT.” This means a bus is scheduled to depart at this time from this location. All other locations display estimated departure times. On our Wolfline maps, timepoints are shown as a red dot with a black outer circle. Regular bus stops are simply a red dot. Using the departure time from the nearest time point, an estimated time can be determined for the bus stop closest to your location. You can also use the Transloc tracking System or (Transloc app) to see the location of your bus in “real-time”! Both the desktop version and mobile app display all Wolfline bus stops as well as estimated wait times for each route serving a selected stop. People with low vision or blindness can call NC State Transportation at 919-515-3424 for assistance with real-time bus locations of Wolfline routes.

Who can ride the Wolfline?

Wolfline is open to the public.

What if I am not satisfied with the bus service?

We attempt to offer the best possible service. We constantly strive to improve service and your feedback is very important. Please share service concerns or complaints via e-mail, call 919-515-WOLF to leave a message, or speak directly to the Wolfline transit manager at 919-513-7400.

Do you really take my complaints seriously?

We take your complaints and suggestions seriously. We investigate all comments and complaints and making adjustments in service where possible. Expect a response to your call or email within 48 hours.

Can another bus be added to my route to cut down on full buses?

A full bus is defined as one which is at maximum capacity, and cannot board additional passengers. A Wolfline bus during Fall 2020 has a capacity of 21 students. If our ridership analysis identifies an ongoing, overcrowding issue, we may add an additional bus during the time period when overcrowding occurs. We attempt to adjust or shift service resources, rather than add vehicles. If enrollment statistics or our ridership analysis indicate a problem that minor adjustments will not fix, we may request an increase in the student transit fee to procure additional vehicles to address the problem.

How do I suggest a change in the Wolfline service?

Contact the Transit Manager by calling 919-515-WOLF, or e-mail.

What if I miss the bus?

Wolfline is a robust transit system with higher route frequencies than most agencies. If you happen to miss the bus, there will likely be another bus within 6-15 minutes depending on your desired route. Please plan ahead, especially during peak service times; catch an earlier bus rather than cut it too close. Wolfline does experience full buses during peak class times. It’s also a good idea to familiarize yourself with all the Wolfline routes – often boarding a bus serving another route is an option. For example, Rt. 7 and Rt. 7R both serve the Wolf Village area and North Campus. If you miss the final bus and feel unsafe for any reason, you may call Campus Police 919-515-3000 and request a Safety Escort. All Wolfline routes end service on campus for safety.

Does the Wolfline run on the weekends?

Yes, when Fall/Spring classes are in session on both the Friday prior to and Monday following the weekend. Route 8 Southeast Loop connects D.H. Hill Library and Hunt Library from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Route 7 Wolflink Shuttle also operates during this same timeframe, providing a circulator service around Main Campus. Routes 12, 13, 14, and 16 that operate after 10:00 pm on weekdays begin weekend service at approximately 6:00 p.m. except during student holidays and break periods. Route 17 RS Lot Shuttle provides service from Centennial Campus storage lots to campus residence halls on the evening before classes resume (6:00 p.m. to Midnight).

Can I get off the bus somewhere other than a posted stop?

No. To ensure the safety of riders, pedestrians, and automobile drivers, Wolfline buses are only authorized to stop at posted stops. It is especially dangerous to run after an attempt to flag down a bus that has left a stop and is merging with other traffic. Serving non-posted stops also increase the travel time and the likelihood that the bus cannot maintain its posted schedule.

What accessibility features do the buses offer?

All Wolfline buses are equipped with ramps and have the ability to kneel level with the curb. All buses have (2) bays for securing mobility devices.

How do I indicate I need the next stop?

To request the next stop, pull the yellow cord located above the seat of the bus to activate the “Stop Requested” signal. In the event of a malfunctioning cord, ask the driver by stating “Next stop please.”

May I choose where to exit the bus (i.e. the front or rear)?

For safety considerations and to speed up the loading/unloading process, we ask that you exit through the rear door. Your driver may ask you to exit out a particular door occasionally due to a mechanical problem, or a safety concern outside the vehicle. If this occurs, please cooperate with your bus driver. ADA passengers are always permitted to exit via the front door to utilize the ADA features of the bus.

What do I do if I left something on the bus?

Call 919-800-4743, which is the contact number of our bus service provider, TransDev. They will do their best to locate your lost item. It is always helpful to provide as much information as possible about both your Wolfline trip and your item (ie. Route number, bus ID number, time of day of your trip; color, shape, the brand name of your item).

How much does it cost to run the Wolfline?

The current budget for Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters is over $7M. This figure includes costs for operations, vehicles (buses), maintenance, fuel, the TransLoc system, and GoPass costs.

How can I get a part-time job with the Wolfline?

When you work for Wolfline, you work for the national transit service provider company hired by the University to operate Wolfline. Call TransDev directly at 919-800-4729.

What are Wolfline’s plans for the future?

The Transportation office performs service planning for Wolfline at least three times annually in preparation for each semester (Fall, Spring, Summer). Each planning session considers future accommodations for our ever-changing landscape at the University. Periodically, Transportation consults with external transportation professionals for long-term planning. Currently, Wolfline is implementing the Campus Mobility Plan initiatives as campus growth dictates and funding allows.

How do I contact Wolfline?

The University Transit Manager can be reached by email or Call 919-515-WOLF. The contractor dispatch office can be reached by phone at 919-800-4743.

Enforcement & Appeal Questions

Does it cost to dispute a ticket?

No, you do not need to pay your ticket before your initial appeal.

How do I dispute a ticket?

All appeals are filed online.

  • Within 7 calendar days from date of the citation
  • Complete and submit the Appeal Form
  • Submit any supporting documentation, i.e., diagrams, permits, etc., including your first and last name and citation number to the Appeals Officer.

I disagree with the initial decision I received when I disputed a ticket. Is there another step to the appeal process?

  • Pay your ticket in full before appealing to the Appeals Hearing Board.
  • File online – check “Request a Board Hearing.”
  • Must file within the 7-day period from the date of your appeal letter received from Transportation. (See Appeals Hearing Board Procedures).
  • State why you disagree with the decision and request an Appeal Board Hearing.

Can I appeal a ticket that was reduced?

Yes. It will be heard by the Appeals Board for the original cost of the ticket. Example: If your ticket was $40 and it was reduced to $25, the Appeals Board will review it for $40. If the decision of the Board is not in your favor, you must pay the original fine amount.

I never saw the ticket; what can I do?

Either appeal or pay the ticket. If the time elapsed is beyond the 7-day appeal deadline, contact Transportation at 515-3424. directly.

Someone else drove my car. Am I still responsible for the ticket?

Yes, it’s your vehicle and your permit; you are responsible.

Are the Appeals Hearing Board members Transportation staff?

No, members are nominated annually from the Faculty, Staff and Student Senate.

Why didn’t I get a warning?

Warning tickets are only issued for:

  • no permit
  • parking outside the authorized zone
  • encroaching into another parking space

How can I offer feedback to Transportation?

Questions, concerns or suggestions? Contact Transportation at 919-515-3424..

Where can I find a list of all transportation forms?

Right Here