I-440 Project Overview
Improvements to I-440 – between just south of Walnut Street in Cary and north of Wade Avenue in Raleigh – are needed to improve traffic flow, access and efficiency along the roadway (referred to locally as the Raleigh Beltline).
Additional Project Information
The first phase improvements will include widening I-440 from four to six lanes, replacing pavement and bridges, and upgrading interchanges.
The second phase improvements will include the widening of I-440 will coincide with lowering the grade of Blue Ridge Road and constructing new bridges for Hillsborough Street (N.C. 54), Norfolk Southern Railway/North Carolina Railroad/CSX Transportation and Beryl Road to reduce congestion and train-related conflicts with vehicles and pedestrians. A new connector road will link Blue Ridge and Hillsborough. Construction completion is planned for Summer 2023.
General Construction Notes
- Routine night closures occur between 10 p.m. – 5 a.m.
- Temporary extensions of hours to 7 p.m. – 6 a.m.
- Daytime work is limited to the median and shoulders of the road. Currently, no daytime lane closures are planned.
- Work will be limited during home football and basketball games.
- Long-term I-440 westbound at Wade Ave. ramp detour scheduled for the remainder of the project. Currently beginning 11/11/19. See map.
- I-440 from Wake Ave to Walnut St has a 55 mph work zone speed limit. Please do not speed. Be patient and obey posted speed limits. Penalty for speeding through a marked worked zone is $250.
For Project Information Contact: Chad Hinnant, 919-332-1599, email@example.com
Permanent Closure of I-440 eastbound to Western Blvd. westbound ramps consolidated beginning 5/1/20. See Map.
UPCOMING TEMPORARY TRAFFIC PATTERN CHANGES/CLOSURES
- 10/11 – I-440 westbound to Western Blvd. westbound ramp will be closed overnight. Detour details to follow.
ACTIVE TRAFFIC PATTERN CHANGES/CLOSURES
- No current traffic pattern changes/closures