I-440 Project Overview
Improvements to I-440 – between just south of Walnut Street in Cary and north of Wade Avenue in Raleigh – are needed to improve traffic flow, access and efficiency along the roadway (referred to locally as the Raleigh Beltline).
Additional Project Information
The first phase improvements will include widening I-440 from four to six lanes, replacing pavement and bridges and upgrading interchanges.
The second phase improvements will include the widening of I-440 will coincide with lowering the grade of Blue Ridge Road and constructing new bridges for Hillsborough Street (N.C. 54), Norfolk Southern Railway/North Carolina Railroad/CSX Transportation and Beryl Road to reduce congestion and train-related conflicts with vehicles and pedestrians. A new connector road will link Blue Ridge and Hillsborough. Construction completion is planned for Summer 2023.
General Construction Notes
- Routine night closures occur between 10 p.m. – 5 a.m.
- Daytime work is limited to the median and shoulders of the road. Currently, no daytime lane closures are planned.
- Work will be limited during home football and basketball games.
- Long-term I-440 westbound at Wade Ave. ramp detour scheduled for the remainder of the project. Currently beginning 11/11/19. See map.
- I-440 from Wake Ave to Walnut St has a 55 mph work zone speed limit. Please do not speed. Be patient and obey posted speed limits. Penalty for speeding through a marked worked zone is $250.
For Project Information Contact: Chad Hinnant, 919-332-1599, email@example.com
IMPORTANT UPCOMING TRAFFIC PATTERN CHANGES
- 3/1/20 – Westbound Wade Avenue lanes will shift between I-440 and Ridge Rd. – See Map
- 3/1/20 – I-440 eastbound off-ramp to Western Blvd – See Map
- 3/2/20 – I-440 eastbound off-ramp to Jones Franklin Rd – See Map
Upcoming Campus Impacts
2019/2023 – I-440 Widening
No Current Closures
2020/2023 – Blue Ridge/Hillsborough
Construction on Blue Ridge around Hillsborough Street is not expected to begin until after the 2020 State Fair. No major campus impacts are expected until after that time. As more information is available, it will be posted here.